Tuesday, September 9, 2008

How You Can Change the World

Writing a book has been a goal of mine for 2 years. With 6 chapters drafted and 4 to go, I can see the finish line. I drafted out my thoughts on why I'm writing a book -- to be included in the book.

- portion of book chapter -
Why I wrote this book. Earlier in my life I thought I could never make a difference. I didn't feel I had a voice to in this huge world. All I could think about was making the next guy's dream come true. I positioned myself as a back up player – a supporter. Now, there is nothing wrong with being a back up player. But in my case, I was there because I thought someone else could to do a better job than I could.

I remember the story of the Gideon in the bible. When informed he would be the one to save his people. He was in disbelief. He thought about his background. He thought about his family origin. He thought about his age. He thought...someone else could do a better job.


And he willingly suggested others to handle such an important task. But the Angel informed him no mistake was made and he was the one. Even then, Gideon began to ask for signs to be sure he was indeed the one. Gidoen eventually accepted his role and saved his people.

Now when my father told me I’d be great and make difference in the world, I somehow believed it . But as I got older, I found excuses to not having my on voice. Making a difference comes when you blaze your own trail, go the road less traveled, go the opposite direction of the crowd. I was going the opposite direction alright...I was on autopilot like so many others.


The flight plans were -- go to college; get good, safe job; and marry a teacher (my grandparents were fond of teachers).

Even as I followed my flight plans, I felt like there was a piece missing. That piece? It is being the one that makes a difference – using the full potential that GOD gave me. Each of us were giving talents. However, if we don’t exercise our talents we simply fade into the crowd.

This work is my statement --- I refuse to join the company of those cold and timid souls that know victory or defeat (Theodore Roosevelt). I refuse to let someone steer my ambitions. You may be reading this and saying what good is making a statement. Well, our words go along way.


On the scene today, we have presidential candidate making a case for change with his words. Other before him such as MLK, Ronald Reagan, Ghandi and Abraham Lincoln – all made a statement with their words. They moved people with their words.

In the 80’s, I thought the road to success was paved with hard work, rewards, and failure. I was right just as many people assume. But knowing and taking action or two different things. If you know someone is going to give you $1,000 dollars, you must take action (receive it) to actually experience the rewards of the money.

The same goes for the road to success. You may see clearly on the road to success, but if you don’t take action to avoid road blocks -- you are out of luck.

Is writing a book a definition of success for me? No, but the act of chasing a dream is. Success is in the journey not in the destination.

Getting the feeling that the world is leaving you behind is monster feeling. Think for one moment, if you could not fail, what would you do?

Ask yourself that question. My father would ask me that question all the time.

**


Thanks for reading a portion of my story. My father words continue to stay with me. His words were instrumental in my getting off autopilot and blazing my own way. Be sure to tell your kids they can make a difference in the world.



No comments: