Monday, January 1, 2007

About

Leadership and My Early Years

I became spellbound with leadership during my early years of high school. Before then, I thought leadership was this mystical force reserved for bigger than life characters such as world leaders.

My view changed when my high school -- Marshall High School, hired a new football coach. I vividly remember the impact this new coach’s leadership had on our small East Texas community.

He created a level of excitement that had not been experienced in this city. This coach, Dennis Parker, motivated a community and a band of student-athletes to reach for the stars. This one experience and one man created a desire - in me to be a leader that brings out the best in people.

Conquering the Fear of Public Speaking

When I started giving presentations, I was nervous about forgetting my lines and looking bad. I was a technical expert and wanted nothing to do with speaking in front of a group. Then I joined Toastmasters. In about 3 months, the sweaty palms, fast heart rate and shaky voice were not as bad. I still experienced anxiety, but my confidence soared and now I can give presentations without worrying about forgetting my lines.

Why The Road Map?

This site is a guide for you to become an effective leader and presenter. The information contained on these pages will help leaders lead and bring out the best in others. Be sure though, there are no magic pills, quick fixes nor fluff on the site. Believe me, if there was a magic pill for leadership success, I'd be in line.

I started The Road Map blog in 2007 to create a discussion on the 'how to' resources I reviewed while developing leadership and presentation skills workshops (are you educating others through your life experiences?). I continue learning because learning is continuous.

About Me

In the past, I spent time as an engineering technician, quality engineer, manager, trainer and workshop leader. Also, I've owned and operated a promotional products company, an insurance agency, and helped launch a non-profit organizaton.


I live in Big D with my wife and family.

To contact me, please email rbland2020 [at] yahoo [dot] com



Subscribe to The Road Map

Please stay in touch with what The Road Map is up to through one of our subscription methods.

No comments: