Thursday, March 5, 2015

Use This Tactic To Keep Your Best Employee From Walking

In my last post on how to keep employees, I shared the a classic article loaded with insight. The key to retaining your best employees starts with communication. How do you do this?

The method you should employ has been around for years. The most successful managers I know utilize this certain method. But I'll be honest with you, it is going to take some work on your part. You must decide that no matter what -- you will stay the course. 

The foundation to open communication with your team members begins with 1-on-1's. The 1-to-1's will allow you the opportunity to know what is going with your employee, cover expectations and to uncover any concerns. The majority of you will not conduct these 1-to-1's because they do take time. I know -- but we have to make the time. You are probably thinking is that it.

 There is some science behind planning and conducting the 1-on-1's. Trust me. Go listen to this podcast. The guys over at Manager Tools go into great detail on the how's and why's of the 1-to-1's. I promise that you will be blown away. If you are talking about staff meeting material in your 1-to-1's, go listen to the podcast When you're done, leave me a comment with your thoughts.

In my next post, I'll share my biggest 1-to-1 mistake when I was a new manager.

Photo Source: Office Now


No comments: