Saturday, August 14, 2010

I just finished reading a copy of Tony Hsieh's new book Delivering Happiness. Let me tell you, once I started reading this book I couldn't put it down. It took me two evenings to devour Hsieh's book.

The book was great for me because it was written in a conversational tone with easy to digest chapters. And those chapters were busting at the seams with Tony's lessons learned and roller coaster experiences. For example, chapter four talks about Tony's (Zappos) struggle to raise funding and the "out-of-the-box" actions he took to save his company.

Another plus for the book. Today, customer value is more important than ever. Consumers are limiting their spending so companies must find ways to add value. This is the true nugget in the book for me.

Customer service is often dismissed as a value building strategy. But Tony (Zappos) highlights how having passion and a purpose to serve the customer leads to profits--and happiness.

I also enjoyed the fact that Tony included copies of actual emails he sent to his team. I'm a show me guy so the emails help me envision what was happening.

The book is a must read.

No comments: